Wednesday, April 21, 2010

In Search of a New Board

Got a lot of help from folks today on how to go about the search for my new board.  Some suggested that custom is the only way to go and even mentioned some shapers I should check out.  Someone offered to sell me one of his used boards; someone else offered to let me try out his extensive quiver before I decided anything.  A really funny guy suggested that my new board would be spelled SUP.

So many useful tips and offers of assistance!

My first foray was to SouthCoast Longboards in OB.  I've always had a good experience there even though I've never bought a board from them.  Turns out they are having a sale.  $100 off any board over 8'.  Applies to custom shapes as well.  Jeff manages the shop but it was who Greg pulled out numerous boards for inspection.  I kinda liked Greg; a grey beard like me, Greg is retired and works in the shop two days a week just cause he likes to.  We ran our hands over the rails.  Felt the thickness.  Checked out rocker, concave and v.  Extolled the virtues of various rail types, tails, blanks, glass and fins.

Greg told me that a custom board would cost the same as rack boards.  Larry Ricci and Robin Prodanovich are their go to shapers.  Greg said that it would take about two to three weeks from the time Larry or Robin and I finished our conversation about what I wanted in shape, dimension, color and graphics.  Anybody have any info on Larry or Robin's rep as shapers?

These two boards were shaped by Larry.   The orange one was so nice that it was all I could do to keep my hands away from my credit card.  This is going to be more difficult than I thought.













One of you wondered what happened to my Hank Warner that caused me to put it out to pasture.  This is what happens to heavy longboards when they (me actually) don't make a really steep inside section and pogo stick off the bottom.  The cracks are getting worse each day and the board feels dead, so it must be.

I also stopped by Rocky's in OB but it was a morgue.  No one interesting to talk with although it would appear that Hank Warner is doing a lot of shaping for "Native" surfboards.  Great prices from what I could see.

So, keep sending me your ideas and thoughts on who I should talk to or call.  I will follow up and report back.

Have a good one

Aloha
Gary

No comments:

Post a Comment