Sunday, February 7, 2010

Needed Some Altitude

Swell is not as big today.  Ankle to knee high at best.  Even the crowd has diminished.  Decided that I needed some altitude to get the right perspective on this particular lineup just off Moku Nui.

To do that we needed to hike the Kaiwai Ridge Trail.  A steep, rutted trail that ends at two WW II pillbox observation structures.  So steep and so rutted that it was a real challenge lugging the camera gear to the vantage point without slipping and falling off one side of the ridge or the other.  But I thought, "what the heck, I owe it to my readers to get the money shot regardless of the risk to my life and limb".

That and the fact that I wasn't going to let some 10 year old kid bounding up the trail show me up; along with his mother, father, 7 year old sister and dog.

Anyway, you can see how the swell wraps around Moku Nui and I can imagine that with the right swell angle it must get pretty good.  Looks like there are numerous reef breaks as well as a point that creates a right hander along the west shore of the island.

Time for some lunch.  Have a good one.

Aloha
Gary

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Next you guys have to check the Stairway to Heaven hike. Ask around - I'm sure the locals will fill you in.

    ReplyDelete